As part of broader measures to improve energy efficiency in-line with recent EU directives, the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) Affordable Warmth Scheme has introduced grants for free boiler replacements. The scheme specifically targets underprivileged communities, emphasising the elderly and infirm, and is expected to save up to £4.2 billion in energy costs during the lifetimes of the boilers.
Crucially, the free boiler grant won’t affect your eligibility for support with other essentials, like wall and loft insulation.
Who is Eligible?
Because a poorly functioning boiler wastes a significant amount of power and generates large energy bills, it’s not only the elderly and infirm that are eligible for this grant. Those on various forms of benefit, including Working Tax Credit and Income Support, can also apply. Applicants who are successful receive a full, 100% grant towards the cost of a new boiler and its installation.
Because the scheme targets those most in need, you must meet one of the following criteria:
• You receive Child Tax Credit and your income is less than £15,860
• You receive Working Tax Credit and your income is less than £15,860
• You receive Pension Credit, Income Support, Income-Based Job Seeker’s Allowance or Income-Related Employment Support Allowance
If you’re on Income Support, Employment Support Allowance or Job Seeker’s Allowance, you also need to:
• Have a child under 16
• Have a child under 20, in full-time education
• Receive a benefit with a disability element
• Receive a Pensioner Premium
If you get Working Tax Credit you need to meet one of the following conditions:
• You are 60 or older
• You have a child under 16
• You have a child under 20, in full-time education
• You receive Working Tax Credit with a disability element
At Mirage Heating and Plumbing, we’re dedicated to increasing the energy efficiency and comfort of your home, and as a family run business we know how important it is to look after your home and your family during the winter months.
That’s why we supply everything you need to optimise both your heating and plumbing systems, and welcome the new ECO scheme. If you’d like to know more about repairing or replacing your boiler, contact us today for expert advice.